meanderings, musings and campfire tales. Sometimes we write words about faith, love, and 90's music.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

the now and the not yet

One of the only distinct things I remember from my first year of bible college is this crazy silly professor, Dr. Knudtson, going on and on in gospels class about "the now and the not yet." I'm a sucker for a paradox, so this description of the Kingdom seduced me big time.

I just finished The Irresistible Revolution and was thrilled to see one of my very most favorite verses on one of the last pages...

[ INTERJECTION
Dear Graeme and Jamison, Here is my official review of the book:
"Excitingly eerie. Every other page seemed to pull a direct quote out of my own mouth and/or notebook and affirm that I am as ridiculous as everyone makes me feel...and that I wouldn't have it any other way. Seriously creeped me out. La-la-loved it. Perfect timing."]


"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." -- Heb. 11:1

I tried to make Kim watch King Arthur last night (to no avail). Vange and I made up our own parallel medieval existence once (we're kind of reckless nerds). There's just something mysteriously appealing about the idea of a kingdom and a king and all the adventure that goes along with it. No good fairy tales take place in shopping malls or the dim glow of a computer screen.

It's difficult for me to take people who don't believe in magic seriously. I like logic well enough, but it's just very shallow. I like the idea of a place like heaven waiting far away, but it's just very lazy. The world is not a waiting room. If that were the case, we'd all be Sleeping Beauty. Nope, we are the prince! Our earthly years, our nows, are the ages of adventure we spend serving our magical King...

So get out there and kiss some slumbering maidens, 'cause we could definitely use more lively folks in this story of ours!

No comments:

past.

copyright.

(c)2007. all words, pictures and things-of-the-like are copyrighted to 'just for the kingdom'. any MP3s posted on this site are for sampling purposes only. if you represent an artist featured on this site and would like a file removed, tell us.