meanderings, musings and campfire tales. Sometimes we write words about faith, love, and 90's music.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

002//orca

I spent forty-five minutes with my mouth wired open today. Needless to say, my jaw is a little sore, but lying under the precision of that drill, the National in my ears, I had time to think about what my first article would be on. I think the first thing I need to do is properly introduce myself. I mean, why would you want to listen to me, or take me seriously if you don’t feel some sort of connection with me.

I was born in the middle of the 80s, amidst the Smiths, the Cure and probably the tail end of the whole new-wave thing. The Police had already split (no surprises), big poofy hair was stylish, and I was born into a world that I didn’t seem to mind. I think the reason I didn’t cry much as a baby (my parents let me know this, I can’t remember for the life of me) was because I was a pretty big fan of life. My parents say that I could sleep for hours on end (still love it) and that I loved it when they’d play music (sometimes love it). Music was the biggest thing in my life since I can remember; both my parents are musical, and I’ve been surrounded, influenced and in love with it for my entire life. The first band I can really remember falling in love with was the Beach Boys. I have this vivid memory of my Dad and I driving around the city on a gray day, listening to Pet Sounds. I am taken back to that memory every time I hear “Sloop John B”. The other major influence on my life has been my involvement/subjection to the church. My parents were both raised in the Mennonite church, and I too followed the trail. I think I technically became a Christian at the age of five, when I asked my parents how I could get “the power.” Confused, they asked me what I meant, and when I told them that I wanted the power that my two (heroic) older cousins had, I think they got what I was trying to say. Then again, they also said that later I said, “I want the power to fly”, so I mean, who knows where I was coming from. Either way, That Christian influence has been in my life for its entirety. I haven’t always been a great follower (see High School) and I’m still not any sort of spiritual guru (who really is), but I can safely say, for probably the first time in my life, that I do actually love God. That concept was always very strange to me: How can one love something/someone that isn’t flesh and bones? How can you love something that isn’t tangible, or even non-existent? I think I’ve been trying to figure out those questions for my entire life. Hopefully, through this, you’ll let to follow me along the way; I’m all about community.

On a less serious note (yet still grave and serious), my mouth really hurts.

1 comment:

* shaina * * said...

okay. last revision. i SWEAR.

"big poofy hair was stylish" ?
no.
"big poofy hair IS stylish."


in other news, this was amazing. and it really just further affirmed my hunch that you are He-man. "the power"--child version of Jamison, you are tooooo funny!

past.

copyright.

(c)2007. all words, pictures and things-of-the-like are copyrighted to 'just for the kingdom'. any MP3s posted on this site are for sampling purposes only. if you represent an artist featured on this site and would like a file removed, tell us.